Update: Bid for the 2016 NZ MTB Champs.

MBO has been working with the Dunedin City Council on progressing a Bid for the 2016 - 2018 NZ MTB Champs.

However, regretfully because of the financial risk presented under the current Cycling NZ bid model and the significant costs presented by the Union Cyclists Internationale (UCI) requirements we can’t at this time make it work financially in the time provided to present a Bid.

We also tried to engage with QLDC, via Bike Wanaka to consider a joint bid, but saw no initiative come from them.

Even though we had the Mayors support and Dunedin City Council backing the event with staff help and logistics, there still remains a possible ~$20000 annual shortfall based on projected competitors (and that was looking at it glass half full) and having to account for the unknowns with the ambiguity within the Cycling NZ bid documents and the added costs for UCI requirements.

The damaging costs are related to UCI Cat 1 or 2 Status events (this will be a challenge for any club running any UCI event), let alone the Champs. In addition to running costs of about 20K having to pay for things like:
1. The requirement for 8 Commissaries (4 for XC and 4 for DH) – around 8K to support them attending the event ( Flights, accommodation, vehicle, etc etc)
2. Contingency for Drug Testing - 10K
3. UCi Calendar Fee -~3K
4. UCi Cat 1 Prize Money -17K

In the distant past prize money and drug testing was covered by Bike NZ (Cycling NZ). So to run the event we are looking at generating a base 25-30K but have costs in the order of 49K. Because of the late bid documents we could not apply ahead of time for Event Funding, but in saying that I doubt we would get 20K.

This is a disappointing moment for MBO, especially because we know as far as the event goes we could run it in our sleep, but I would be negligent to run on “promises” or finding ways to cut financial corners.

At the very least this was a useful exercise and MBO will look to further National events IF support funding from the main sporting body arises or a major sponsor pops up out of left field.

In this regard also as Treasurer of Mountain Biking New Zealand I fully understand the challenges ahead and hence I am supporting Gil Peters (MTBNZ President) to stabilise MTBNZ, and hope Cycling NZ can secure funding to assist with this event and the MTB Cup Series going forward so it can be run in places different to Rotorua.

I also expect Cycling NZ will struggle to lock down MTB UCI events and this cost structure (everything falling on host club / organiser) severely limits options for non-profit clubs like ours whom have run Oceania’s and National events in the past and desire to run them again.

Thanks to DCC staff for assistance but as Craig said " Its time for me to ride my bike".

Chris (MBO President)

Views: 215

Reply to This

1 September 2018 - 31 August 2019

Cheap as chips since ages ago: $30 individual/$50 Family.

As a member, you get some great Deals & Discounts

Trailforks Map

Dunedin on Trailforks.com

Events

September 2018
SMTWTFS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2018   Created by MBO.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service